Well, I'm just going to come right out and say it...HELP!!!! Todd and I just lost our daycare woman and now we're pretty much up a creek with no paddle or at least that's how I feel. We've never had to just start from scratch like this before, so the pressure is on. And I know that I've faced some very stressful situations in my life, but this one definitely goes at the top of the list. I'm freaking out!
After I had Grace, I got to stay home with her for awhile, so I had some time to look for someone before I went back to work. And it didn't take us long to find someone to watch Grace, because a friend referred us. It all worked out, so there was no stress whatsoever. But now we're back to square-one, which wouldn't seem so bad if our family lived nearby. If my sister or my aunt were around, it would be no sweat. And even though we have "family" at church, no one can watch her full-time.
Ugh, the feeling of not knowing whether your child will be taken care of is so terrible; my stomach is in one huge knot just thinking about it. What are we going to do? Where will she go? Who will be watching her? Are they good people? Is she safe? Can we afford it? These are only some of the many questions that have been rolling around in my head all week.
Todd and I actually went "daycare shopping" yesterday. I took the morning off and we called around to some places to see if we could come over and visit. The first place we went to was a Christian daycare, but it wasn't great. The class that Grace would be put in had three women working in it, but from the time we got there to the time we left, none of them had moved from where they were sitting. I'm sorry, but I want someone to interact with my child! The security was terrible too. People were walking in and out as they pleased, and no one seemed to mind it. We left there thinking, "Lord, please let there be something better than this."
The second place was another Christian daycare and we really liked it. The facilities were great, the kids were interacting with the teachers, and the director was wonderful. She took time out of her busy schedule to explain everything to us and show us around. I also really like that every day the kids get together for worship, prayer and scripture reading, even the toddlers. Todd and I were real big fans of that!
We visited two more daycare places after the first two Christian ones, even though they didn't have any openings right now. We didn't really care for them either though. They were not much better than the first place we went to. We tried to get ahold of a few other places, but we had to either have an appointment or they didn't have an opening for Grace's age group.
We're leaning towards the second place but I still don't feel completely satisfied. I guess I'm just struggling with the fact that I'm leaving my child with complete strangers. Oh and the cost is really hitting us where it hurts too. We're going to have to pay over twice as much as we were paying before, and that's everyone around here, not just the place that we're interested in. The cheapest place we went to yesterday was $145 a week. Now granted, the price goes down when your child turns two, but that's not going to affect us for 9 more months. Lord, help us.
And on top of all this, we had to take Grace to the ER on Tuesday night because she had a rash all over her body. We thought that it was a food allergy, but it turns out that she has a URI and the rash is from the infection. She had a high fever on Sunday morning, but I thought it was just her teeth, and since it's a viral thing, they can't give her any antibiotics. It doesn't seem to bother her, but she looks terrible. She has all these little bumps all over her face, back and belly. She's been really tired and cranky too, and she isn't eating well either. I just wish I could do more for her, but you can only give her so much Motrin in a day's time. Poor little thing.
So I've been trying my best not to dwell on all of this and trust in the Lord, but it's so hard. I'm such a control person and I don't feel in-control at all here. I just want what's best for Grace. I want her to feel loved and safe, and I want to feel at peace about it. I want to know that it's all going to be alright, which I think I've heard Todd say to me about 100 times this week.
I trust you Lord.
Every step of the way,
I trust you.
After I had Grace, I got to stay home with her for awhile, so I had some time to look for someone before I went back to work. And it didn't take us long to find someone to watch Grace, because a friend referred us. It all worked out, so there was no stress whatsoever. But now we're back to square-one, which wouldn't seem so bad if our family lived nearby. If my sister or my aunt were around, it would be no sweat. And even though we have "family" at church, no one can watch her full-time.
Ugh, the feeling of not knowing whether your child will be taken care of is so terrible; my stomach is in one huge knot just thinking about it. What are we going to do? Where will she go? Who will be watching her? Are they good people? Is she safe? Can we afford it? These are only some of the many questions that have been rolling around in my head all week.
Todd and I actually went "daycare shopping" yesterday. I took the morning off and we called around to some places to see if we could come over and visit. The first place we went to was a Christian daycare, but it wasn't great. The class that Grace would be put in had three women working in it, but from the time we got there to the time we left, none of them had moved from where they were sitting. I'm sorry, but I want someone to interact with my child! The security was terrible too. People were walking in and out as they pleased, and no one seemed to mind it. We left there thinking, "Lord, please let there be something better than this."
The second place was another Christian daycare and we really liked it. The facilities were great, the kids were interacting with the teachers, and the director was wonderful. She took time out of her busy schedule to explain everything to us and show us around. I also really like that every day the kids get together for worship, prayer and scripture reading, even the toddlers. Todd and I were real big fans of that!
We visited two more daycare places after the first two Christian ones, even though they didn't have any openings right now. We didn't really care for them either though. They were not much better than the first place we went to. We tried to get ahold of a few other places, but we had to either have an appointment or they didn't have an opening for Grace's age group.
We're leaning towards the second place but I still don't feel completely satisfied. I guess I'm just struggling with the fact that I'm leaving my child with complete strangers. Oh and the cost is really hitting us where it hurts too. We're going to have to pay over twice as much as we were paying before, and that's everyone around here, not just the place that we're interested in. The cheapest place we went to yesterday was $145 a week. Now granted, the price goes down when your child turns two, but that's not going to affect us for 9 more months. Lord, help us.
And on top of all this, we had to take Grace to the ER on Tuesday night because she had a rash all over her body. We thought that it was a food allergy, but it turns out that she has a URI and the rash is from the infection. She had a high fever on Sunday morning, but I thought it was just her teeth, and since it's a viral thing, they can't give her any antibiotics. It doesn't seem to bother her, but she looks terrible. She has all these little bumps all over her face, back and belly. She's been really tired and cranky too, and she isn't eating well either. I just wish I could do more for her, but you can only give her so much Motrin in a day's time. Poor little thing.
So I've been trying my best not to dwell on all of this and trust in the Lord, but it's so hard. I'm such a control person and I don't feel in-control at all here. I just want what's best for Grace. I want her to feel loved and safe, and I want to feel at peace about it. I want to know that it's all going to be alright, which I think I've heard Todd say to me about 100 times this week.
I trust you Lord.
Every step of the way,
I trust you.




6 comments:
Micah--I know exactly how you feel, I was in the same situation with Avery at the beginning of the school year. I will pray that you and Todd find a place that is affordable and that you are comfortable with!
When I went back to working part time at the animal hospital last fall,my biggest stress was where Maggie was going to go.I was very blessed that a good friend asked to watch her.But if that wouldn't have happened,I don't know what we would have done.I know how you are feeling.You see things on the news and hear horrible things about daycares.I always wonder why someone is in that line of work if they don't absolutely love kids.I would so take care of Grace for you if we lived close.I will be praying for you and Todd that God would give you wisdom with what to do.Something great will come along!
There are many, many times when I wish that we lived close to you guys and this would certainly be one of those times. I would absolutely love to be able to watch Grace for you. It would be awesome for her and Allie to get to be together. I truly wish that was possible! I will be praying that the right place comes along quickly for Grace to be. A place that is affordable but also high quality!
Oh, Micah! I know exactly how you feel. This posting made me cry. You are such an awesome mommy! Grace is so lucky to have you! :) In the short months that Elli has been here, the roller coaster of emotions has been intense. She's so amazing but at the same time I've never worried more in my life! It's a daily struggle to let go and remember that Elli is God's child...and He has everything under control. It's all going to work out, but in the interim I'll be praying for you!!
I HATE that you are going through this. I continue to pray that God will provide an awesome place for Gracie and that you will have complete peace about it. I love you so much, call me whenever babe. We could use another crying session :)
So very sorry you, Todd and Grace are going thru this trial. We will be praying for you. Wisdom and joy.
Post a Comment