Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 12, 2007

She’s Here!!



Grace Michelle Nicholson has arrived! After a long labor and an unexpected delivery, Grace was born at 9:25 p.m. Sunday, July 8. She weighed in at 6 lbs. 12 oz. and she’s 19 ¾ in. long. She is everything we dreamed she would be and more.

For those of you interested in the story…
I went into active labor around 9:30 p.m. Saturday night. Todd and I had actually been up to Labor and Delivery the Thursday night before that because I was having contractions, but they just weren’t strong enough yet (those were the doctor’s words, not mine). So after a few days of contractions, I finally said, “We’ve got to go back. This has to be it.” We went into Labor and Delivery around 2:00 a.m. Sunday morning, but the nurse said I was only 2 cm dilated and that I should go home, take a walk, and come back in a few hours. Since it was about 3:00 a.m., Todd and I decided to walk a few laps in the church sanctuary. After walking and trying to get some rest, we went back to the hospital, hoping that we wouldn’t be turned away again. The nurse checked me again and I was 3 cm, just enough to stay.

The day went pretty quick after that. My nurse was a wonderful, Christian woman, and the doctor on-call was who I was really hoping would deliver me. With the great coaching of Todd and Sara, I endured my contractions till about 11:00 a.m. and then received my epidural. What a relief to not have to feel that pain anymore! It was nice to rest. I was getting worried about Todd though, cause he got a little woozy after my epidural. He didn’t even see the guy putting it in my back. How he was going to get through the delivery was beyond me.

After a few more hours of waiting and some episodes of Spongebob, the nurse checked me and said, “Let’s try to push a little.” After pushing, she said that I needed to dilate a little more, so we waited some more. Then the doctor came in, checked me, and asked me to push. I pushed through a few contractions and then stopped. It was then that we were told that Grace was face up instead of face down. I was also not dilating anymore with my contractions, so I was just staying put at around 9 cm. He told us that a C-section was a big possibility. I was pretty devastated, because I really wanted to have her vaginally. I never even entertained the thought of having a C-section. The doctor gave me another hour to see if I would dilate and if not, then we would have to go with the C-section.

We all prayed and waited. When he came back, I hadn’t done much but he decided to let me push anyway. So I pushed with everything I had in me. I had never been so determined to do anything in all my life. My doctor just kept saying, “Man, you’re an awesome pusher. One of the best I’ve ever seen.” I was so close to getting her out. Her head was right there, but then Grace’s heart rate dropped really low. We all just held our breaths and waited for it to go back up. It finally went back up to normal, but then went right back down again. After going back to normal a second time, my doctor looked at me and said that this was the end of the road. Grace had tolerated labor so well, but she couldn’t do it anymore. A C-section was the only solution.

Once they decided to do a C-section, my room was bombarded with doctors and nurses. It was like a whirlwind after that. They wheeled me into the operating room, transferred me to another bed, and prepped my belly for surgery. Once Todd came in from putting on his scrubs, they were ready to go. Todd wanted to stay right by my head, but I told him to watch her being born. I knew that if he could handle seeing me do all that pushing I had just done, he could handle watching the C-section. I then heard the doctor say, “Here she is! And she has the cord wrapped around her neck twice!” (It was a relief to know that this was the reason I couldn’t have her vaginally). And just like that, she was out. Todd and I just looked at each other and bawled. It was the most amazing feeling to know that she was finally here. They took her over to clean her up and then brought her over to see me. I automatically recognized that she had Todd’s nose. She was beautiful, and I just couldn’t believe that she was ours.

After three days in the hospital, we are home and doing well. Grace loves to sleep and eat. She also has a really high squeal, so we’re thinking she’s a soprano J Todd is a wonderful daddy, and he’s been such a big help. He is an expert at swaddling, and he changes diapers like a champ. Because of the C-section, I haven’t been able to do all the things that I want to do as a new mother, which has been hard. I still have a lot of healing to do, but it was all worth it. I thank the Lord for our healthy, beautiful baby. Thank you for your prayers, and I’m sure we’ll post some more pictures of our girl soon.



24 comments:

Todd Nicholson said...

Look at my two beautiful girls! I love you so much!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful! You guys make such wonderful parents- and I love her name. I hope that you heal quickly, Micah, so that you can enjoy everything about being a Mommy.

mi*chelle said...

I am in tears.... I want to see her so badly! It would be nice to have the joy!

She is beautiful...beyond beautiful. I can't believe it. You know, in every picture, I see someone different. I saw Luke in one, I saw Micah in one. I see Todd and Mom's nose every time, though!!

ENJOY EVERY SECOND. Before you know it, she'll be leaning over the booth backwards at a restaurant saying "Come here Punk!" like Gabriel did the other day at Applebee's!!! :) I'm proud of you both! And Micah, I haven't talked to you yet, but YOU CAN TOTALLY STEAL THE NAME GRACE FROM ME!! :) :) :) :)

You'll be surprised how quickly you will be able to do things, Micah. Don't worry about that. The first c-section is not the easiest recovery in the world, but if you pushed like Todd explained to me, the recovery will be a CINCH for you! :)

God bless you and your new family! It's amazing how quickly it changes and how quickly time passes. Enjoy it all, and update this thing as often as possible! We want to see EVERYTHING Gracie does!

Love you all! (Hope Baxter and Bo are adjusting, too!)
Michelle

PS- My biggest "mistake" according to the books with Luke: never letting him fall asleep on his own. I loved the cuddles, but it did make it more difficult later....but you know what? I think in hindsight, I'd still cuddle....enjoy it. There's something special about the first! :) (You know I had to throw the "oldest child" thing in there once!)

mi*chelle said...

one more thing. i can't see the video because it says something about encryption....can you send the link or post it on here?

mi*chelle said...

ok...at the risk of being an "over-commenter" i also see a little Gabriel in one. the one where she is being held up and out away from you guys and wrapped up really tightly is totally luke, though.... :)

ok. no more comments today. i promise. :) love ya!

The Hutsells said...

Micah, she is so pretty. She does look like you with Todd's nose, but oh what a cute little nose. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Please blog often as this is the only way for us to see her until we get home. We love you and are proud of you.

P.S. I can't view the video either. I'll keep checking back though.

sara jean said...

Praise the Lord for a beautiful baby girl!! I am elated for the the three of you:) Wishing you the best always.

Beth said...

Congratulations on your beautiful daughter!!!! We're so happy for you guys- children are life's greatest little blessings!

Brandon said...

She is so beautiful!!! It was great to talk to you Todd!

B

Amy said...

precious! she's beautiful! so happy for you guys :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Micah and Todd she is beautiful!!! I love the picture of the two of you sleeping. Both of my babies sleeping. We have so many pictures of you sleeping Micah. I still think you look like my little girl you look so young. The one of her without her head covered looks exactly like you when we brought you home. I love her cute turned up nose in the one picture. I can't view the video either, please keep those pictures coming it's the only way I can see her, she will change alot, she has already. I hope you heal quickly. Love, Mom aka(Me-maw Barber)

Anonymous said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!
Praise Him all creatures here below!
Praise Him above all heavenly host!
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!

She's is a miracle! She is beautiful!

I am so proud of both of you!

Micah, I love you especially for being the mother of my granddaughter and son's offspring. You will be an amazing mom!

Love you all,
Mom

kristenlea47 said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! She is gorgeous! I'm so excited! I tried to comment earlier but my computer was freaking out on me. I can't even put into words how happy I am for you. I'm sure her dad will do an awesome job of reading her bedtime stories (and maybe even making some up) and tucking her in... and her mom will do an amazing job of taking care of her when she is sick and teaching her all about the wonders of Spongebob.
Oh- and I am so glad that Spongebob and Patrick could be at least a part of the process!

Anonymous said...

Congrats, guys! I've been checking in every five minutes for the last week! :)

She's BEAUTIFUL!!!

The Chinlund Family said...

What a beautiful, beatiful family... I have SO MUCH LOVE for you all and can't wait to meet the newest Nicholson addition in person! Mic, I am so proud of you for all your hard work, labor is tough and YOU DID IT!!! Way to go girl :) Talk to you soon. Love, love, love you!!! Kiss that adorable baby for me and tell her that her Aunt Kate loves her very much!!!

The Hutsells said...

Grace - your cousins wanted to comment about you. Isaac says, 'She is soooo pretty.' Emma says, 'She is so cute.'
Hope you're doing well and feeling better every day!

Hummel Family said...

Good job, Miach! She's a beauty! I can tell you are both proud!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! She is really beautiful! I am glad all turned out well in the end! God Bless and Best Wishes - Sarah J.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that beautiful video.
I just wanted to cry. I'll bet she doesn't have any trouble crying now. I can't wait to see her.

Love,

Mom Barber aka Me-Maw

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! I was on vacation all last week and called Adam everyday to see if Girlfriend had come yet!! She is beautiful. Can't wait to meet her in person.

Unknown said...

What a true blessing, May the Lord bless you all as you grow together in Him and as a family. She is precious

the lambs said...

Congratulations, you guys!! Girls are awesome!

kristenlea47 said...

That video made me happy inside!

Mrs. Winer and Mrs. Schultz said...

She is absolutely beautiful!