Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, August 11, 2006

As you think, you will be

I don't usually go really "in-depth" on my blog, but God has been dealing with me a lot lately. Do you ever have the tendency to wake up and think about the negative? Or maybe you're like me and you can't fall asleep at night because your mind won't stop worrying about tomorrow. I see myself becoming a person of fear, and I never really knew it until just recently.
Todd and I have been reading through a devotional by Joel Osteen called, "Daily Readings from Your Best Life Now." I'm particularly fond of part three of this book, "Discover the Power of Your Thoughts and Words." So much of our attitudes rely solely on our thoughts. I can count numerous times when I've snapped at someone or got really impatient because my thoughts were focused on something negative. And it doesn't always have to be a negative thought, it could be a trial that I'm going through. So many times, I worry about a situation so much that it seems to take over my life. Instead of laying it at the feet of Jesus, I decide that it's best to carry it around with me. The only problem is that my "problem" is affecting my relationship with others.
So how do I overcome it? I wake up every day expecting great things for my life. God wants to bless me, but He can only do His great work if I'm ready and willing. I have to think positive thoughts. When I'm late for work, I need to be thankful that He got me there in one piece. When I'm overwhelmed with responsibilities, I remember how much He's helped me conquer in the past. When I need a miracle, I think of His many promises. It's not always easy, but I've found that the more I stop and think about the positive things in my life, I can't help but smile and lift my head up a little higher.
I've decided to write this quote down and put it on my bathroom mirror. It will be a reminder for me to start every day with a positive outlook.


"This is the day the Lord has made and I'm going to be happy. I'm going to enjoy this day. I'm going to go out and be productive. I'm going to be a blessing to somebody, and this is going to be a great day in my life."

5 comments:

mi*chelle said...

The past few weeks I have been learning the same thing. Someone told me about 4 weeks ago that Satan can't read our minds but he uses what he knows to influence our thoughts. I hadn't thought of it that way. In the stuff I've dealt with lately, it's really easy to let my mind get carried away on the negative. Like I've written before, the best weapon against these negative feelings of being overwhelmed is reciting His Word over and over. Isaiah 26:3 has become my theme...my lifeline...it may not be the verse God uses for you in this time of life, but if you find one, memorize it and use it. Pray it. Live it. Learn from it. That's all I can say...but it's funny that we are both having the same revelations at the same time, it sounds like. SOOOO glad I got to see you todahy! Love you two!
~Michelle

kristenlea47 said...

That is so awesome, Micah. I think its so easy for us all to focus on the negative if we allow ourselves to. I guess that its easy for us (as females)- to worry about everything. The most difficult thing to do is not worry about things. That takes trust, and that's the hardest thing to allow ourselves to do; Trust Him.

Brandon and Natalie Robbins said...

Micah this a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing it with us. As a fellow worrier and one who tends to dwell on negatives, your post was an excellent reminder that we truly need to work at giving things to God and letting go and trusting in Him. It's my prayer for you and for all the rest of us out there that every day we can focus on what God has given us, use those things for good and not dwell on everything else.
Natalie

sara jean said...

Micah, I'm so thankful that I linked from Amy's like to your blog today! Right now I have just begun my student teaching. Sometimes it is so hard for me to think about getting through this and actually pass and graduate. I know you went through this and any advice you have is welcome! Also I appreciate this post because it really helped me have a new outlook on the situation facing me at IWU and at Riverview Middle School. God is so good, many blessings on you.

Sara jean dekker

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Hummer suspension lift hummer mi http://www.web-site-design-2.info/Sleeplessnessantidepressantscausing.html Distressed furniture white Austin individual health insurance Halfbakery gps mall car finder interior designer hourly rates hummer picture http://www.blackberry-shareware.info/make_your_own_ps2_memory_card_backup.html New bingo site Acura tsx test drives http://www.bestfinancialadvisorcanada.info Tamiflu halt pandemic